2013 Qupe Central Coast Syrah
This wine is 98% Syrah from vineyards in both Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties, with the other 2% divided among Grenache, Mourvedre and Tempranillo. This 2013 is 63% from cool climate vineyards in Santa Barbara County and Edna Valley, and 37% from warmer climate Paso Robles. The vineyards are: Bien Nacido in the Santa Maria Valley 42%; French Camp in Paso Robles 35%; Sawyer Lindquist in Edna Valley 11%; Chabot in Santa Barbara County; Ibarra-Young in the new Los Olivos District AVA 4%; and Carriage in Paso Robles 2%.
2013 was an outstanding vintage, warmer than 2012 but much cooler than 2014 or 2015. Much like 2012 in the sense that we had great quality and a decent crop level. It was the second year of the drought so we had virtually no rain during the growing season.
All of the lots were fermented separately using traditional techniques. Aging was done in neutral French oak barrels for a minimum of 18 months. The wine was lightly fined with egg whites to soften the tannins and bring the fruit into focus.
This is the style of Central Coast Syrah that I try to make each vintage…cool climate components for spice, freshness, acidity and lower alcohol, and warm climate components for the forward fruit and value that it brings to the final blend. Because the wine is nicely balanced it will age well. However, we are now putting our Central Coast Syrah under screw cap for easy access, so I recommend drinking it and saving your cellar space for our Santa Barbara and single vineyard Syrahs!